What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is typically characterised by pain radiating from the lower spine to one or both legs. The pain generally extends beyond the knee. Sciatica typically affects one side of the lower body, depending upon which sciatic nerve is affected. In some cases, the tingling pain can also travel down to the foot, causing lifestyle-related problems.
Sciatica is caused by a slipped disc or herniated disc when the soft cartilages or tissues between the spine bones pinch the nerves surrounding those discs. Sometimes the sciatic nerve itself is pinched, causing pain to radiate down the legs.
What does Sciatica pain feel like?
People describe the pain caused due to Sciatica differently. For some, it can be a soft tingling pain gradually reaching the foot, while others describe a severe sharp shooting pain, felt especially while sitting or standing. Some patients also describe the pain as similar to a severe toothache. Typically, the frequency of shooting pain increases with the delay of Sciatica pain management treatment. Therefore, our capable team, led by Dr Sherief Elsayed, devises the best Sciatica treatment in Dubai to treat pinched root nerves through medication, therapy, and surgical practices, depending on the Sciatica symptoms.
Symptoms of Sciatica
The Sciatica symptoms include:
- Sharp tingling pain arising from the lower back and travelling down the legs.
- Discomfort or pain in the lower back and legs (usually on one side) while sitting, standing, walking, or even lying straight on the bed.
- Pain sensations that feel like electric shocks.
- Pain increases with sneezing, coughing, and sudden movements such as sitting or standing.
- Pins and needles (paresthesia) sensations.
Who is at a higher risk of health problems due to Sciatica?
Today, Sciatica cases are surging not only in Dubai but worldwide. The patients include most of the age spectrum – from adolescents to the elderly. The most commonly affected age groups are those of middle age.
Senior citizens, pregnant women, professionals with prolonged sitting or standing jobs, or those having prior spine-related problems may all experience Sciatica. Some of the reasons these groups are at higher risk are discussed below.
- Pregnant women: Pregnancy creates a greater chance of disc herniation in the lower back, causing Sciatica.
- Middle age: With increasing age, the central fibrous gel in the spine canal dries. As a result, the spine loses its tensile strength and flexibility and becomes prone to spine thinning. All these conditions surmount to causing spine problems such as herniated discs and bone spurs, which pinch, irritate, and inflame nerve roots as they leave the vertebrae.
- Working Professionals: A study finds a decent percentage of Sciatica patients are young professionals who devote long working hours, either sitting or standing. Restricted spine movement, or exaggerated spine movements, build pressure on the spinal canal and nerves.
Sciatica shows some common symptoms also found in other spine or nervous problems. However, Dr Sherief, our expert spine specialist, suggests the following diagnostic tests to conclude a proper Sciatica treatment in Dubai. The diagnosis includes:
Physical examination of the spine
Starting with a thorough history and examination, Dr Sherief is able to guide the patient as to what the problem may be.
Screening tests of the spine, back, and nerves
Dr Sherief Elsayed combines physical tests with screening tests to diagnose and start with Sciatica management treatment. These imaging tests include:
- Nerve conduction studies / Electroneuromyography (EMG) in some cases
The above tests are recommended depending on the prognosis of Sciatica symptoms to give our patients the best effective Sciatica treatment in Dubai.
Sciatica treatments in Dubai
The treatment approach depends on the analysis of diagnostic tests for Sciatica. Dr Sherief compassionately explains the disorder and treatment methods to the patient before proceeding to the treatment methods. The treatment methods include:
Medications for Sciatica pain relief
The medications include targeted OTC, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, and spinal injections. Typically, these medications effectively subdue pain, relax nerve tensions, and bring sciatic nerves to respond normally. However, in some cases, the pain or other symptoms may reoccur. Therefore, the spine specialist may suggest therapy as the best-gauged Sciatica treatment in Dubai.
Therapies for relief of Sciatica-induced nerve
The physical therapies for Sciatica treatment incorporate specially designed exercises to strengthen, condition, and stimulate targeted nerves and muscles affected by Sciatica. Typically, the doctor recommends therapy with medication as part of a conservative nonsurgical Sciatica treatment plan.
Surgery as the last resort option for Sciatica treatment
In most cases of Sciatica, symptoms are well managed with conservative methods. However, in some cases of failed practice and recurrence of sciatic symptoms, our specialist performs surgery as the last and the most effective Sciatica treatment in Dubai. Some of the cases requiring surgeries for Sciatica treatment include:
- Recurrence of lower back and leg pain after medications and therapies
- Restricted lower back movement
- Increased pain intensity and pain frequency
- The herniated disc causes other interrelated problems such as weakness, bladder, bowel, or sexual dysfunction.
Dr Sherief performs the following surgeries to treat Sciatica
- Laminotomy – The lamina is in the back of the vertebral body, covering the nerves. During the surgery, the surgeon removes the lamina or the part that is pinching the nerve roots.
- Discectomy/decompression –
The surgeon removes any part of the spine causing nerve root compression, e.g., bone spurs, herniated (prolapsed or slipped) disc, or something else.
A discectomy is undertaken either by microdiscectomy or endoscopic discectomy.
Patient satisfaction rates (for relief of leg pain and Sciatica) are very high following a discectomy.
Surgeries are typically performed under general anaesthesia.
Table of Contents
Dr Sherief Elsayed for your Sciatica treatment in Dubai?
Dr Sherief Elsayed is one of the most competent and compassionate spinal specialists in Dubai. He and his team have performed various intricate spine surgeries with commendable results and relief to patients.
Dr Sherief and his team handle spine-related problems with the most appropriate conservative and non-conservative approaches, giving patients a zeal to live a more comfortable and quality life.
Have spine problems? Book an appointment with our consultant spine surgeon Dr Sherief Elsayed right away!