Treatment In Dubai
Spinal tumours are abnormally growing cells on or around the spinal cord. They are categorised differently depending on the tumour’s size, cause, and origin. Some types of spinal tumours are:
- Primary tumour – The tumour is present in the place of its origin. For example, the spinal tumour is a primary tumour if it has originated in the spine. Primary spinal tumours may be benign or malignant.
- Secondary Tumour or Metastatic Tumour (malignant) originates elsewhere and spreads to the spine – for example, breast cancer, prostate cancer, or renal cell carcinoma. These are the commonest spinal tumours.
Spinal tumours can also be categorised according to where they are:
- Intradural – extramedullary
- Intradural – intramedullary
- Extradural tumours
Like other tumours, several factors contribute to the development of spinal tumours, such as gene mutations, environmental factors, metastatic cancer, radiation therapy, or exposure to a radioactive atmosphere.
Spinal tumours, whether malignant or benign, cause a range of symptoms. Some of the symptoms include:
- Pain in the spine
- Numbness or ‘pins and needles/tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Spine distortion
- Diminished sensitivity to heat & cold
- Weight loss
Complications Caused Due To Spinal Tumours
Some serious neurological problems caused due to spinal tumours include:
- Radiculopathy (pinched nerve roots)
- Myelopathy (spinal cord compression)
- Bowel and bladder dysfunction
- Numbness, tingling, and muscle weakness
- Difficulty walking or difficulty using the hands
- Scoliosis or kyphosis due to a spinal tumour growth
Diagnosis is pivotal in deciding the right spinal tumour treatment in Dubai. Dr Sherief will recommend tests to determine the tumour’s nature, size, and location. Diagnostic tests include:
- Review of full medical history
- Physical examination of the spine
- Neurological examination to determine nerve function
- Bone Scan
- PET Scan Or Positron Emission Tomography
Spinal Tumours Treatment In Dubai
Treatments for spinal tumours include:
- Full or partial spinal tumour removal in Dubai
- Radiation therapy, through the latest therapeutic radiology or targeted proton therapy
At times, tumour removal requires instrumented stabilisation (rods and screws) to confer better spine stability. Dr Sherief does the following surgeries to mitigate neurological or structural spinal defects.
- Laminectomy and fusion
- Decompression surgery
- Corpectomy and anterior column reconstruction
Table of Contents
Dr Sherief Elsayed For Spinal Tumours Treatment In Dubai
Dr Sherief Elsayed is one of Dubai’s most recommended spine surgeons for spinal tumour surgery. Among a few spine surgeons worldwide, he is adept in robotic surgery and MISS surgery in spinal procedures. In addition, he is a highly experienced spine surgeon who has performed various complicated spinal surgeries. For accurate and successful spinal tumour surgery in Dubai, consult Dr Sherief Elsayed.