Treatment In Dubai
What is Spondylolisthesis?
Types of Spondylolisthesis
Some common types of Spondylolisthesis include:
- Congenital spondylolisthesis – The term congenital refers to the occurrence of something since birth. So, when the spine is not adequately formed in the foetus, it increases the risk of misaligned vertebrae.
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis – This condition arises due to spondylosis, another spine condition in which the vertebra develops fractures due to stress. This is common amongst those who undertake sports that involve many extension exercises, e.g., gymnastics or football linesmen
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis – This occurs due to ageing and is most common in middle-aged women at the L4/5 level.
Some other lesser common types of spondylolisthesis include:
- Traumatic spondylolisthesis – Typically happens due to a high-energy injury.
- Pathological spondylolisthesis – This may happen due to osteoporosis or due to spine tumours.
- Post-surgical spondylolisthesis – This condition appears when a vertebra slips due to previous surgery, rendering the vertebra unstable.
Symptoms of Spondylolisthesis
Most people do not recognise the onset of spondylolisthesis. Lower back pain is the most prominent symptom. However, other symptoms noted among patients seeking spondylolisthesis treatment include:
- Muscular spasms, especially in the lower back
- Pain radiating from the lower back to the buttocks and legs
- Back stiffness
- Difficulty walking or standing for a long time
- Pain while bending over
- Numbness, weakness, or tingling sensations in the foot
Causes of Spondylolisthesis
Spondylolisthesis commonly occurs in 6% of adults, and the risk increases above 50 years of age. Spondylolisthesis can be caused by a sports injury, sudden accident, congenital causes due to a deformed or underdeveloped spine, heredity, or age-related degeneration.
How is Spondylolisthesis in Dubai diagnosed?
Dr Sherief asks for patients’ complete medical history and inquires about their symptoms. He will typically recommend further imaging, usually in the form of an X-ray and MRI scans, to study diagnosis effectively.
Spondylolisthesis cases can be resolved with conservative approaches that include:
- Activity modification: Avoiding activities that increase symptoms
- Medication: Analgesics & non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), for example ibuprofen or naproxen, for pain and inflammation relief
- Injections: Steroid injections, concentrated and directly injected into the affected area. This may be used either as a diagnostic or therapeutic technique.
- Physiotherapy: Dr Sherief will recommend a physical therapist to teach you some targeted abdominal and spine strengthening exercises to help keep your spondylolisthesis symptoms under control. Regular exercises are crucial for gaining mobility and muscle-bone strength.
- Bracing: A brace or spine corset can help stabilise your spine. Braces restrict movement and allow fractures to heal. Braces are usually given to adolescents or young patients.
If you are curious to know what the best treatment for spondylolisthesis is book to see Dr Sherief today. He will always suggest non-operative spondylolisthesis pain relief but if it doesn’t work, surgery may be considered. Dr Sherief offers different surgical procedures for spondylolisthesis treatment in Dubai.
For spondylolisthesis, surgery aims to decompress the nerves (and stabilise the spine if a fusion is undertaken). Alignment of the vertebra may or may not be undertaken. There are two types of spondylolisthesis surgery:
Decompression surgery – Decompression surgery aims to decompress the nerves and relieve the patient of leg symptoms.
Fusion surgery – In a fusion surgery, the surgeon fuses (connects) the affected vertebrae to the adjacent ones with rods and screws and bone graft. The graft develops into one bone as they heal, forming a stable and immobilised structure.
Table of Contents
Dr Sherief Elsayed for treating Spondylolisthesis in Dubai?
Dr Sherief Elsayed is a highly qualified and experienced spine surgeon in Dubai. He is adept at performing robot-assisted MISS surgeries that benefit patients in the long term, improving their quality of life. His forte is his precision and compassion while treating his patients.
So far, he has treated thousands of spine problems and has successfully executed highly complex surgery cases. Book an appointment with Dr Sherief to treat spondylolisthesis in Dubai.